Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Aiyoohhh

Last Monday, this particular report in The Star Newspaper caught my eye. It was about RapidKL, the company that is in charge of the public transport system in Kuala Lumpur, wanting to make upgrades to the existing system. More specifically, to quote the report;

".....Mohd Ali is also inviting the public to provide feedback on what they expect from the bus company in order to convert car users to bus users.

“If you compare the network from what it was before we took over, there has been a lot of improvement. There is certainty in getting a bus now, with a 30-minute waiting time being terrible.

“So the question is, what are the public's expectations of a bus company in KL considering we are limited by certain factors,” he added. ..."


So being the nice and kind soul that I am, and wanting to do my bit to provide feedback on what they expect from the bus company in order to convert car users to bus users, I spent my Monday morning typing an email to the company, rapidKL; which went like this:

Dear Sir,

With regards to your comments reported in the Star Newspaper on Monday 26th March concerning suggestions for the Rapid KL Bus Network.

My name is Daniel Lee, and I am a Malaysian doing my final year of studies in London.

I was working in KL last year on an internship attachment and was a daily user of the public transport system to get to work and back each day. While I did not use the Rapid KL bus line extensively (mainly the Metrobus) as I lived in SS13 in Subang and traveled to downtown KL to work, I did use the Rapid KL service on a number of occasions, especially from Subang to the Kelana Jaya LRT station.

Being a frequent user of London's bus and tube network, I would like to highlight some observations and suggestions that hopefully can contribute towards the betterment of Rapid KL's services.

Most people are reluctant to use the bus service as there is not enough information to inform them where each bus is going, whether if they will need a connecting bus to take them to where they go, how long will they have to wait etc. If Rapid KL can provide some sort of notice board at each bus stop, which states:

1. The bus number
2. The route taken (if possible with each stop listed on the route) for that particular bus
3. Bus operating times, for eg. first bus begins at say 6am, and then every 8 mins approx. per bus, and last bus at 1am.
4. The approximate time of journey taken from each stop.
5. An overall chart showing all the buses routes that will be stopping at that stop.

So using the bus from the Kelana Jaya LRT towards Subang as an example:

Bus No. X

KJ LRT
| 15 mins
|
Giant Hypermarket
| 20 mins
|
Sunway Pyramid
| 5 mins
|
Subang Parade
| N mins
|
etc

Bus Operating Times:
Monday to Friday
6am - 8am
600am, 615am, 630am, 645am etc

8am till 11pm
Every 10 mins per bus

11pm onwards
1120pm, 1140pm, 1200am, 1215am (Last Bus)

And so on and so forth

And also the obvious of having frequent and relatively reliable and punctual buses during peak hours will help encourage more users.

Another thing to note is that sometimes, when buses are overcrowded the driver still continues to allow people in, until it terribly packed. A simple bus ride from KL to anywhere at around 5-6pm will show this. It would be good if drivers can be instructed to not take in any more passengers when the bus is already full (which of course, to placate those being left behind, having buses that are coming swiftly and punctually will go a long way).

Generally I've nothing but good words to say about the improvements that have been made over the recent year(s). Keep up the good work, and I sincerely hope that these suggestions will be able to contribute towards the improvement of the system.

Regards,

Daniel Lee


Satisfied and happy with what I wrote, I proceeded to email them.

A couple of hours later, I got a reply:

Your message

To: suggest@rapidkl.com.my
Subject: Attn: The CEO, En. Mohd. Ali Mohd. Nor
Sent: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 17:51:28 +0800

did not reach the following recipient(s):

Katherine on Mon, 26 Mar 2007 18:27:45 +0800
The recipient was unavailable to take delivery of the message
MSEXCH:MSExchangeMTA:PUTRALRT
:MAILSERVER


Undeterred, I tried again, checking I got the email correct. Not too long later, I got another reply, this time from Google:

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification

THIS IS A WARNING MESSAGE ONLY.

YOU DO NOT NEED TO RESEND YOUR MESSAGE.

Delivery to the following recipient has been delayed:

suggest@rapidkl.com.my

Message will be retried for 2 more day(s)

Technical details of temporary failure:
TEMP_FAILURE: Could not initiate SMTP conversation with any hosts:
[xmaildata.rapidkl.com.my. (0): Connection timed out]


Like WOOOT man!! WOOOOOOOTTTT!!!!!
Aiyoh, please lah, after spending my morning writing that email they could've at least ensured that the email address was working.
Please, don't let me write that for no reason.

Or maybe i'll just snail mail them.


If I ever bump into their webmaster on the street, somebody's gonna get some ass kicking.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i see some ppl r too free despite the courseworks init?

daniel lee said...

Yeah. No OR mah :P