Wednesday, March 12, 2008

me and programming, it's a love hate thing

Away from the europhia of the elections....

One of the nice things about my job is that I get to use whatever approach (within reasonable limits) I want to do my work.

So occasionally when I get bored of writing reports (which is actually, very often), I usually muck around a bit doing other stuff. One of them of which is building spreadsheets with macros and all.

The VBA I learnt (or didn't learn) back in Uni days seems like a lifetime ago. All I remember about those classes was a huge dark hall, comfy chair, droning voice of my lecturer and a lot of sleep. Which resulted in me not really knowing squat about VBA.

Nonetheless, my construction skills learnt from many hours of playing Lego when I was a kid was revived when I started poking around a VBA module again. And I gotta admit, its quite fun (hardcoregeek alert!). The many hours spent staring a stupid code that spouts out error messages, causes excel to hang in the middle of 10000 simulations (which is happening as I type), and then finding out that there was not much point in simulating that part of the data, and finally scrapping the whole thing... so ... so... headexploding.

But its worth it when it finally works. *smirk*

2 comments:

Enoch said...

You? Programming?

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAcoughHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Well, uh, as long as you don't forget to practice your guitar skills. Just yesterday I noticed it's 1 1/2 years since the fateful Layla recording.

daniel lee said...

update your blog la you.... :P

guitar?? its growing cobwebs =( heh.. layla. how thing's change